In general, we write a lot of our blog posts for couples who are in the process of planning their weddings, however, on this occasion we would like to dedicate a piece to those who are hoping to get engaged in the near future. Over the years in the wedding videography business, we have spoken to brides and grooms in all corners of the country, Cork, Tipperary, Dublin, Kilkenny… the list goes on, and during this time have come across many couples that have to save for years to afford an engagement ring, let alone a wedding. All of these brides and grooms had one thing in common – if they could have saved money on their engagement and wedding rings, they would happily have done so in order to put the savings towards the big day itself.
With this in mind we have developed a list of tips that may help you to purchase the engagement ring of your dreams without spending a fortune or finding yourself in debt.
1. Diamonds with slight flaws or as they’re known in the industry ‘inclusions’ will cost significantly less than those that are considered the ‘perfect diamond’. To the naked eye or to anyone who is not a diamond expert, these rocks look just as magnificent and will certainly help you to make a saving.
2. Cluster diamonds, which are many small diamonds arranged together, could cost significantly less than one large solitaire diamond and look incredible without breaking the bank.
3. Diamonds of less than 1 carat will always bring down the price, however can look just as impressive and special with the right ring setting.
4. When choosing the metal for your ring, opt for a lower karat grade. Perhaps consider 14k gold over 18k gold for a large saving without sacrificing any quality. Silver and white gold are also excellent options.
5. Buy your diamond ring online. There has never been a better time to shop for wedding jewellery online, with a wealth of styles, cuts and colours to choose from, you can be sure you will find a ring you love and still keep some extra money in your pocket to put towards the big day.
6. For those of you who aren’t keen on diamonds, try some of the more unusual stones on offer such as emeralds, opals, ruby or amber stone.
7. If you’re looking for the appearance of a diamond without the cost normally associated, check out some of the cubic zirconia options that are available in most jewellers in Ireland.
8. Buy your diamonds separately from the ring. We hear more and more from our brides and grooms that they have sourced their diamonds online or on holiday abroad and had them mounted on a customised band in their local jewellers. A great way to save some hard earned cash!
If you and your loved one are planning to get engaged in the next few months, let us be the first to extend our heartiest congratulations. We would love it if you kept us in mind for your upcoming celebrations and we promise to provide you with a wedding videography service that is unmatched elsewhere in the country.