Its amazing how quickly summer 2016 has come and gone, 2017 is on the horizon, here at Drangan Video it has been another very busy year. We have shot weddings all over Tipperary, Kilkenny, Waterford, Carlow and Galway our wedding video bookings for 2017 are at an al time high which is great news.
In this wedding news blog we take an in dept look into the the duties of the Best Man and Maid of Honour.
This article will touch on the duties of the best man and the maid of honour on your wedding day and in the weeks and months leading up to it. If you have recently been asked by a best friend or family member to be an integral part of their wedding by being a member of the bridal party then we hope you find this blog post helpful.
Duties of the Maid of Honour
The maid of honour plays an important role in both the planning stages of the wedding and on the big day itself. Prepare yourself for a busy few months ahead and do your very best take some of the strain and stress from the bride by being at her side throughout.
- Organising the hen night – This will fall upon the maid of honour and the bridesmaids to organise, so make sure you plan a night that includes all of the brides favourite things. It may be tempting to initially choose activities or destinations that you yourself would like, so it’s important to ensure that you are giving the bride a night that is just perfect for her. After all she will only ever have one hen night!
- Direct the bridesmaids – On the big day it will be your job to organise the bridesmaids, make sure they’re all positioned where they’re meant to be and address any issues that may arise.
- Attend and organise the dress fittings: As the maid of honour it will be your duty to get the bridesmaids to all of their dress fittings and make sure they are well prepared for the day ahead. You should also attend the dress fittings with the bride and tell her just how wonderful she looks in her wedding dress of choice.
- Help with decision-making – The bride will no doubt be overwhelmed with all the decisions that need to be made during the planning of the wedding. Try to take the weight off as much as possible by assisting her with these choices. This may include vetting suppliers, checking online reviews, ordering samples, visiting wedding fairs etc.
- Other Duties:
- Mingle with the guests
- Keep an eye on the Bride and make sure she has everything she needs on the big day
- Prepare a wedding emergency kit
Duties of the Best Man
The best man is the driving force behind every great wedding and does so much more than many guests will realise. In the lead up to the big day and on the day itself, you are going to be busy, but it will be worth every minute of it to see the smile on your best friends face when his bride walks down that aisle.
- Organise the stag night. The planning of this night comes down to you and the other members of the groom’s party. You should also consult with any other guests who will be attending to ensure you are truly delivering a night that everyone will enjoy.
- Write your speech. This is the part you will probably find the most daunting, however, it’s really not as scary as it seems and once you have delivered a heartfelt and entertaining speech you will no doubt feel as proud as punch. There’s a host of resources on the Internet that can assist you if you’re unsure what direction your speech should take.
- Assist the groom and bride with choosing attire for the groom’s party. This will mean attending fittings, getting the rest of the groomsmen organised and ensuring the suits or tuxes are delivered safely and in good condition back to the rental shop the next day.
- Assist the groom with any planning for relatives and friends. This may involve organising transport, accommodation or assisting elderly relatives and friends throughout the day.
- On the day of the wedding you should:
- Make sure you have the rings in a safe place
- Organise the groomsmen
- Have spare umbrellas in the boot of your car
- Keep your eyes peeled for any behaviour that may upset the bride or groom and nip it in the bud (discreetly).
- Escort and dance with the maid of honour
- Take care of any envelopes or gifts and ensure they are delivered safely to the bridal suite.
- Organise payment with any suppliers; get envelopes for each supplier from the groom in the days beforehand.
If you are planning on having wedding filmed in Tipperary, Kilkenny or indeed any county in Ireland be sure to check out Drangan Video we have a selection of 5 individual stunning HD wedding video packages.
This is another busy weekend, with a humanist wedding in the wonderful Kilkenny Lyrath Hotel today, a wedding in Ballingarry Tipperary tomorrow and a wedding in Durrow Co. Laois on Saturday.
More Wedding Video News Next Week.