Over the past year, we have seen an unexpected upsurge in the number of Church weddings we have been asked to provide videography services for. In this blog post we are going to talk about all the little things that make a church wedding so special and explore some of the reasons why we believe church weddings are on the increase again especially in Kilkenny and Tipperary.
When it comes to weddings in Ireland today, there are no hard and fast rules, which in turn means the pressure is off those who previously may not have much choice in venue or ceremony type. Now we can marry our loved ones practically anywhere we wish, whether that be in a church, a registry office, a favourite hotel or a beautiful outdoor area. For the purposes of this blog post we are going to focus on the reasons why an increased number of our brides and grooms are opting for the traditional church wedding.
• Religion: This is of course the number one reason why couples choose to get married in a Church. They may have grown up attending mass here and received the sacraments of communion and confirmation in the same parish. For most couples we speak to, they have a lifelong connection with the church they choose and this makes their day even more special.
• Family Tradition: In a number of instances we have spoken to brides and grooms who are carrying on a family tradition by marrying in the same church as their parents or grandparents. This continuation of tradition is a mark of respect and gratitude to family as well as their own personal choice.
• Ambience: In some cases we have spoke to brides and grooms who have chosen to get married in their local church simply because they love the building and the ambience it provides for their special day.
Whatever your reason for choosing a church wedding, you are sure to be supported greatly by your local parish and church community. There are few other settings where you truly know the people you’re dealing with and this greatly assists with the planning process. When you speak with your local priest and church volunteers on the lead-up to your big day, you can be assured of their full support and guidance throughout the planning stage.
If you and your loved one are hoping to get married in your local church, there are some things you will need to do first:
• Contact your local parish priest to make an appointment and notify him of your intention to marry.
• When you meet with your local parish priest you can then book your church of choice for the big day.
• The parish priest will most likely ask you to bring the following documents with you to your first meeting:
1. Baptismal certificate for both you and your partner.
2. Confirmation certificate.
3. Proof of freedom to marry (if the parish you wish to wed in is not your own parish).
• You will also need to complete a pre-marriage course within 3 months of your wedding day.
Here at Drangan Video, we love nothing more than filming weddings in Kilkenny, Tipperary or up and down the country and absolutely recognise that your choice of ceremony is very personal to you and your loved ones. Whether you are getting married in a church, a hotel or any HSE registered venue, we would love to be a part of your big day.
The team here at Drangan are available to travel anywhere in the country to film your happy day and can guarantee an excellent service using the very latest video technology. All editing is completed in-house, so you can be assured that we have full control over the quality of your wedding video.