So you have finally set the date for your big day and are busy making a list of your wedding suppliers, choosing a venue is one of the most important decisions that you will have to make.
In the following blog post I have made a list of important questions that you will need to ask your wedding venue
Questions you need to ask your wedding venue
Choosing and booking your perfect wedding venue is absolutely the most important part of the wedding planning process and quite often we overlook some of the most important questions we should be asking. For those of you who are yet to book a venue and need a little assistance with making a decision, please read on and use this article as a source of information when interviewing possible venues for your big day.
The two most important questions are the ones you will need the answer to straight away – so you can disregard some venues immediately.
1. Can they accommodate your wedding ceremony or reception on your chosen date?
- What is the capacity of the venue; can they accommodate the numbers you are hoping will attend?
Once the above questions have been answered to your satisfaction, it’s now time to move on to the nitty gritty, feel free to pick and choose from the questions we have listed below in order to get all the information you require.
- Will the venue provide you with a wedding coordinator or events manager to deal with throughout your planning? If yes, get a name and contact details.
- Will there be any other weddings in that hotel or venue on the same day? If so, will this have any impact on the smooth operation of your big day?
- Are they willing to negotiate on pricing? Some venues will throw in some extras free of charge; so don’t be afraid to barter! If you are planning a mid-week wedding, then you have every opportunity to make some great savings.
- Are there any building works or renovations currently being done in the hotel? If so, will these works be completed by the date of your wedding and can they guarantee this? If you are dealing with a venue that does have building works or renovations going on, it would be advisable to get something in writing that states how this will or will not impact on your day. If the venue has promised to have works competed before the date, get this in writing also.
- What is included in the package price? Get down to the smallest items here to make sure you are getting value for money. Little items like corkage, free teas and coffees and welcoming drinks will make all the difference to your pocket.
- Will the venue provide a special rate for your guest’s accommodation? Don’t take the first price your venue offers you for accommodation, most hotels can afford to give a significant discount for mid-week weddings, as the hotel would otherwise be quiet.
- What is the layout of the room? Can it be changed to suit your preferences?
- Are you welcome to bring in outside service providers? Perhaps you’re having a mid-summer wedding and you want to hire an ice-cream van or maybe you’re planning a magic show for the kiddies? This will all need to be discussed in advance. Are you welcome to bring in props and décor items?
- Will the hotel offer free Wi-Fi for all of your guests?
- How late will the bar be open, can you apply for an extension and will this cost extra? Are your guests welcome to use the resident’s bar at the end of the night?
- What are the facilities at the hotel? Are there elevators for elderly guests, do you have wheelchair access? Is there a suitable smoking area for your guests?
- Will the venue cater for different dietary requirements? Will this cost extra?
- Will the hotel give guests a later checkout time free of charge? (If required.)
The questions listed above are just some of the most important things you should be asking your venue. If you find that some of the answers are not what you expected, then perhaps you can negotiate on price. This checklist, should in any case give you a sound basis for choosing the perfect wedding venue.
As a busy wedding videographer I am lucky to attend my fair share of weddings in amazing wedding venues through out Tipperary, Kilkenny, and all over Ireland. If you are in the process of wedding planning and trying to decide on your ideal wedding venue, why not contact myself Eamon who will be more than happy to offer friendly advice regarding your choice of wedding venue.
If you would like to have your wedding day on film be sure to check out Drangan Video for an affordable HD wedding video package.
More wedding blog news soon